Close

Default No oil in filter?

Hey guys
    So yesterday was the day we ripped my motor out of the car and tore it down to block for a refresh. After we drained the oil we removed the filter and the thing looked brand new inside still. No oil in it at all, even the rubber gasket around it was clean as if it was brand new. Now I’ve haven’t done a lot of oil changes but I k so what’s supposed to happen. My brother was flabbergasted lol as he has never seen that before. What would cause this? My oil pressure was great in the car and the pick up tube screen along had some gunk it wasn’t horrible. Was it a faulty oil pump?

Name:  IMG_2657.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  167.7 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

If what you say is true possibly faulty bypass valve in the filter.

That's bizarre! Since you had good oil pressure, it shouldn't be a faulty oil pump. How long did the motor run with that filter on it? How long did it sit not running (ie, how long ago did it run?). Don't know, but even with a faulty bypass valve, wouldn't the outside ring of holes still be "oily"? I'd cut the filter open and see what clues are inside... has the media been wet?, how's the bypass valve look?, etc.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1984GTTurboVert View Post
    If what you say is true possibly faulty bypass valve in the filter.
    Lol And why would it not be true?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    That's bizarre! Since you had good oil pressure, it shouldn't be a faulty oil pump. How long did the motor run with that filter on it? How long did it sit not running (ie, how long ago did it run?). Don't know, but even with a faulty bypass valve, wouldn't the outside ring of holes still be "oily"? I'd cut the filter open and see what clues are inside... has the media been wet?, how's the bypass valve look?, etc.
    Motor has ran for maybe 3 or 4 hours. I haven’t really drove it that much. Hasn’t been started since maybe September of last year.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

You're not lying, are you? j/k

That's so weird. I could see the gasket looking good if the mating surface was really clean, but the innards of the filter... doesn't make sense. Is there any evidence of oil ever being inside it? Are the "goes-into-the-filter" holes/area of the block okay/open? Couldn't make out that area where you show the torn down block in that other thread.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Ya I don’t know lol. All I know is there was nothing in that filter and it looked like nothing was ever in it. When I get back down there I will cut it open. We kept it for now.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt