Close

Default Identify aftermarket voltage regulator (unnecessary parts swap)

The previous owner of my car had good intentions by replacing some parts under the hood and he did it mainly due to age and for esthetics, however its better to have the original Ford Motorcraft parts if they are in good working order because the build quality is much higher than cheap China parts store garbage. I was able to find an NOS ignition module and I will keep the aftermarket in the car as a spare. The voltage regulator was also changed and luckily the original Motorcraft unit was with the car and I just re-installed it, and again will keep the new aftermarket as a spare.

Question for curiosity reasons, there is no brand name on this regulator, it just says "short circuit protected" on the front, and I tried searching the part number 4197A31 on the back and didn't find any results, so I was wondering if anyone recognizes the regulator below by its appearance, the large pins holding connectors is very different than the Motorcraft rivet style. Again, I was just curious what brand he bought, maybe its decent but I doubt it.

Thanks

Name:  volt reg.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  218.8 KB
    Last edited by OldFox; 05-15-2024 at 07:03 PM.

FEP Power Member

Most manufacturers mark their parts with a date code so they can trace them back if there is an issue. I'm pretty certain there was only 1 electronic version for Fords so a part number would not be needed. My guess it was made in the 41st week of 1997.

How about a picture of the front?
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

The only difference ive ever seen on these was one is for voltmeters and one is for ammeters.

Tuff Stuff Voltage Regulator
    1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

Thanks for insight, Tuff Stuff was a good guess but I looked at one on Summit website and it didn't match, and I also looked at other brands on Summit and none of the others matched. It looks really cheap, oh well its not important, I was just curious and it will make a good spare backup, photo of the front...

EDIT: Found it... https://www.stockwiseauto.com/airtex...rd&Model=FT800

Name:  volt reg 2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  161.3 KB
    Last edited by OldFox; 05-17-2024 at 11:59 AM.