Close

Default Clutch pedal safety switch and mods

Hi everyone, I posted on WTB section about wanting to buy another clutch pedal to modify.
    I have big feet and I repeatedly keep touching/grazing the brake pedal.
    Has anyone else here had this problem?
    I was thinking of modifying a factory one by cutting it and welding in a offset block (1/2 inch) and
    Incorporating a threaded clutch stop for the pedal.

I would also love to get rid of the safety switch as you really have to use way more travel than necessary,
    And wouldn’t work with a clutch pedal stop.
    How have you guys by passed this switch? I am really tired of having to floorboard that pedal to start my 84.

Thanks in advance for your input,
    Scott
    84 GT 5.0L, T5, 8.8T-Lock, 5lug with 93 Cobra Brakes,
    MM RCL's,CC plates, Koni Reds, 17" Tri-Stars...CoilOvers next.

I didn't bother with a clutch switch when I did the 2.3T/T5 swap in the Tbird all those years ago. Should be easy enough to loop/bypass that.

My car uses the straight-pull 2.3 bellhousing on the T5 (like the 5.0 does), and the clutch pedal used to sit WAY high at rest. Even with a fully adjustable cable/adjuster set up.

I made a simple stop from a piece of square tubing (1-1/4", I think) and bolted it to where the steering column attaches. It fit perfectly around the steering column bracket.

83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

You can easily bypass the switch if needed, but there should be some adjustment in the switch from what I remember. Not a huge amount, but you should be able to get it the switch to function without having to go to the floor with the clutch pedal. If other people might drive your vehicle, bypassing the switch might not be the best option. No one drives my Foxes, so I don't worry about the switch in most cases myself.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Hey Chuck that’s pretty cool. I have the other problem. My clutch, ford racing king cobra, with stock quadrant and stock ford racing clutch cable, grabs much higher. I really want to put the clutch stop to contact the firewall/ floor .
    It’s always been that way since new.
    I wasting my leg travel when shifting and when starting.

Trey, I only drive it. I am way old enough to remember never having an additional nanny to remind me that my car is in gear.
    From looking at the pictures of the assembly, it doesn’t look adjustable…, I can check my volumes of ford manuals to check on that.

Anyway, I am hoping someone has an “ extra clutch pedal for my other problem.”

Thanks guys for your input.
    Scott
    84 GT 5.0L, T5, 8.8T-Lock, 5lug with 93 Cobra Brakes,
    MM RCL's,CC plates, Koni Reds, 17" Tri-Stars...CoilOvers next.

I may be thinking of the later model 86-04 style rather than the early Four Eyed.

This is the one I am thinking of here. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-11156A/86-9...RoCxK8QAvD_BwE

Name:  Neutral Safety.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  12.3 KB

I might have an extra clutch pedal, but I will have to do some digging to find it.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller