Close

Default Want to switch to in tank fuel pump

Like the title says I want to switch from external electric pump to in tank fuel pump for my 91 carbed 302. Car is a 84gt with a 91 motor converted to carb. Tank is still original to the car. I absolutely Hate the sound of the external one. Drives me nuts. What’s some good options to look at for tanks, pumps, sending units? I assume I’d need a 87-93 tank as mine is a 84. Right now I run an external Holley black to a areomotive regulator to my carb. No return line so I’d need to run one.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Supporter

You can just switch to a stock style EFI tank and use a EFI style pump hanger/sender assembly. They had all that for '84. I just priced out a bunch of that stuff for my '90 and found OE replacements from Summit were the cheapest I could find once shipping was considered.

Have you confirmed the tank style you have now?

Why not swap your timing cover and use a manual pump?
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    You can just switch to a stock style EFI tank and use a EFI style pump hanger/sender assembly. They had all that for '84. I just priced out a bunch of that stuff for my '90 and found OE replacements from Summit were the cheapest I could find once shipping was considered.

Have you confirmed the tank style you have now?

Why not swap your timing cover and use a manual pump?
    Yes the tank is the original 84 one so I would have to get a efi one. Yes I thought about it before but went the external pump route as I had a pump and regulator all given to me. Figured as I have all the lines and filters already plumbed in this would be the easiest for me rather than remove all the stuff I’ve already installed. . Was looking at the Holley sniper efi tank and the 12-345 pump and hanger assembly. 6an outlet and 6an return.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Also forgot to mention that I also plan on eventually doing a Holley sniper 2 conversion when money permits so this is a way to get some of cost out of the way.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Supporter

If you stick with a stock style tank you could use the Pro-M hanger. I think it's a little cheaper than the Holley. It's all set up for 6AN too. Not sure if it comes with a pump though.

https://www.promracing.com/high-flow...-mustangs.html

If your engine is still pretty stock the OE style parts should have plenty of capacity. I think they make AN to pushlock adapter fittings to get your lines connected up.
    Last edited by qikgts; 03-30-2024 at 09:46 PM.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Also forgot to mention that I also plan on eventually doing a Holley sniper 2 conversion when money permits so this is a way to get some of cost out of the way.
    Doesnt holley make an intank fuel pump that integrates right into that system for mustangs? I know they have them that directly tie into the sniper system but i thought they had one that was a direct fit for fox mustangs also.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984GTTurboVert View Post
    Doesnt holley make an intank fuel pump that integrates right into that system for mustangs? I know they have them that directly tie into the sniper system but i thought they had one that was a direct fit for fox mustangs also.
    Yes they do but they can be expensive. Pretty sure any in tank pump will work with the sniper as long as it flows the right amount. Thought about getting the Holley return less one buts pretty pricey.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt