Close

Default Rack and Pinion RH LH TURN lines Teflon seal

I have a small leak on my "hard" line which is called the "RH and LH turn lines" respectively. These are the lines on the rack and pinion that are connected on both ends to the rack and pinion.

Under normal circumstances these two lines are NEVER to be removed from the R&P

These lines have a special Teflon seal that goes on the end of the line where the flare is. These are DIFFERENT than the R&P lines that goes to the PS pump and cooler respectively.

I am reaching out if anyone knows where to get these seals and/or have ever done this.

I am attaching a few pics and in the one pic I am referring to the red and blue hoses...

Name:  rack and pinion diagam.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  61.8 KB
    Name:  RP pic.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  670.2 KB
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Maybe try a Ford dealer parts dept.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Hmm, interesting. I've never taken those off but always assumed they were inverted flare connections.

If you strike out at the dealer as 85GTGuy suggested, maybe try a hydraulic supply shop.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Yes, I will try that and was thinking along those lines. I will post a pic of the actual line and you can compare to the diagram from the Ford service manual
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

There are multiple YT videos of rack rebuilding.... see if one of them identifies a source for that teflon seal.

Maybe one of these places sells the part....

https://turnonesteering.com/rebuildi...on-rebuilding/

https://advantagesteering.com/rack-pinion/
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Here are the seals you need. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-38889SK/for...ng-seals-79-04

As mentioned you can also pick them up at most Ford dealerships. Most quality aftermarket replacement pressure lines will have a new teflon seal included when new.

Best advice I can give you is wrestle the seals onto the metal tubes (carefully so not to tear or overstretch them). They are not the easiest to install. Once you get the seal installed, allow the seal to relax for at least an hour or so in @70 degree or warm temperatures before installing back on the vehicle. This resting period allows the seal time to return to its original shape and size so that it will seal properly. If you install it immediately after placing on the tube, there is a much higher chance that the fitting will leak. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I've seen those particular seals multiple places.... I didn't think those were the correct ones. Aren't those LMR seals the ones that actually go on the threads of the feed and return lines of the pump? I believe the OP is looking for the ones that are for the "RH and LH turn lines".... ie, the lines that are integral to the rack and pinion itself. The desired seals don't appear to go on the threads themselves.... they "mount between the tube nut and the tube flange", according to the manual page pictured above. Truthfully, I'm not even sure how you'd get them on, unless they actually stretch enough to go over the flange.

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    I've seen those particular seals multiple places.... I didn't think those were the correct ones. Aren't those LMR seals the ones that actually go on the threads of the feed and return lines of the pump? I believe the OP is looking for the ones that are for the "RH and LH turn lines".... ie, the lines that are integral to the rack and pinion itself. The desired seals don't appear to go on the threads themselves.... they "mount between the tube nut and the tube flange", according to the manual page pictured above. Truthfully, I'm not even sure how you'd get them on, unless they actually stretch enough to go over the flange.
    First off, thank for any input it is appreciated

You are correct 85gtguy. The seals are different for the LH RH turn lines as compared to the other 2 rack and pinion lines. The above listed ones are teflon but not the correct size. I do know that with teflon seals they get stretched over a tool (or socket or something) and then you can get them onto whatever you are fitting them on.

here is a pic of the side by side of the one that I need and the one that was posted above in that LMR link

Name:  IMG_0991.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  389.3 KB
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Sorry was up most of the night dealing with a sore throat and cough and obviously didn't read the first post correctly.

I would check with a local hydraulic hose and fitting supply hose. Good chance they have a teflon seal that will match or be close enough. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

1979 Ghia Coupe
    5.0/C4
    Polar White
    1981 Cobra
    Gen 2 Coyote/6R80
    Bright Bittersweet
    2022 Mustang GT
    10r80 Whipple
    Eruption Green

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Sorry was up most of the night dealing with a sore throat and cough and obviously didn't read the first post correctly.

I would check with a local hydraulic hose and fitting supply hose. Good chance they have a teflon seal that will match or be close enough. Good Luck!

LOL

Not your fault that I always have these weird issues that no one else ever had...I will prob go by moreland hose
    Last edited by scenarioL113; 02-02-2024 at 08:45 PM.
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Thanks for the reply but those are for the 2 other hoses on the rack not the ones in question
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

FEP Power Member

Default Washers

Quote Originally Posted by scenarioL113 View Post
    Thanks for the reply but those are for the 2 other hoses on the rack not the ones in question
    You could try McMaster-Carr for PTFE (teflon) plastic washers.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

These lines have a special Teflon seal that goes on the end of the line where the flare is. These are DIFFERENT than the R&P lines that goes to the PS pump and cooler respectively.

I am reaching out if anyone knows where to get these seals ....
    I found them!!

At least I think so....

Stumbled across them on NPD's site.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal.../164737/129013

I found them!!

At least I think so....

Stumbled across them on NPD's site.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal.../164737/129013

This is very possible....especially since it states (4) are needed. The other 2 lines are different sizes and diffent on both ends. The hard lines are the only ones that would require the (4) same seals...

Thanks for the link, I will check it out
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

This is very possible....especially since it states (4) are needed. The other 2 lines are different sizes and diffent on both ends. The hard lines are the only ones that would require the (4) same seals...

Thanks for the link, I will check it out
    You're welcome.

Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking also.... about the "4 needed" part of it. Plus they look proportionally like the pic of yours and the pic from the service manual. Fingers crossed that they are what you need.

You're welcome.

Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking also.... about the "4 needed" part of it. Plus they look proportionally like the pic of yours and the pic from the service manual. Fingers crossed that they are what you need.
    I spoke to NPD and the girl there went into the warehouse and measured teflon seals for me. The approximate measurements she gave me on the seals look promising. 1/2" OD and 1/16 in thickness. The ID she wasnt so sure of but felt is about 1/2 of the 1/2...LOL
    They should arrive tomorrow
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

***UPDATE***

I rec'd the teflon seals today from NPD. These are OEM FORD part number E1BZ-3591-A. I am pretty sure these are the correct seals

I have NOT tested these yet but these are a perfect fit for the unit. Thank you again to 85GTGuy

Just for the record, regarding these lines and their seals is like the biggest mystery in the world. I have actual Ford Part numbers and when searching I come up with very minimum results that are not even specific to what they are for.
    Ford service manual does not even give you a part number for the seal or any directions on how to install it. Almost every search has come up empty on trying deal with this problem.
    In typical fashion I always seem to gravitate towards weird problems...

I honestly hope this post helps someone else in the future...
    Last edited by scenarioL113; 02-08-2024 at 10:01 PM.
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

FEP Senior Member

Good info and detective work. Those lines on the 2002 GT rack I got from the junkyard were cut when they removed them so I'll have to figure this out at some point. I had planned on swapping the lines over from my '85 rack, but assumed they all used the same Teflon O-Rings that we are familiar with.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Those lines on the 2002 GT rack I got from the junkyard were cut when they removed them so I'll have to figure this out at some point. I had planned on swapping the lines over from my '85 rack, but assumed they all used the same Teflon O-Rings that we are familiar with.
    Your cut lines are the ones that run from one end of the rack to the other end? We're not talking about the pressure lines that run to the pump. The jy cut those lines??.... that's odd.... there's no reason to touch those lines....

FEP Senior Member

Your cut lines are the ones that run from one end of the rack to the other end? We're not talking about the pressure lines that run to the pump. The jy cut those lines??.... that's odd.... there's no reason to touch those lines....
    Sigh. What can i say. It's a junkyard. They see hoses, hard lines, wires, etc. they just cut everything. Didn't make any sense to me either.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I have run the car 2 times (on 2 different days) now for about 20-30 minutes. As of now there are NO LEAKS. I have to hope the seals are good and correct since there is for the most part ZERO info about these "hard lines"...

On this 1986 rack and pinion this is what the steel line flare looks like, so if yours looks like this than these are the seals you need for the hard lines (NOT TO BE CONFUSED with the "swivel lines" that go to reservoir and cooler.

Just to clarify this for others that will read this thread there are a TOTAL of 6 teflon seals for the lines on the Rack and Pinion unit itself. There is 1 large seal for the larger swivel fitting. 1 smaller seal for the other swivel smaller swivel fitting. There are "4" seals that are for the NON-swivel fittings that are shown in the pics below along with the hardline fitting:

Name:  IMG_0989 - Copy.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  331.3 KB
    Name:  teflon1.jpg
Size:  235.5 KB
    Name:  teflon2.jpg
Size:  119.2 KB
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

FEP Senior Member

It looks like the seal just drops into the bottom of the port and then the fitting tightens against the seal correct?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I will give you a YES on that. I did put it on the fitting when I installed them. But they really just barely stayed loosely in place. I think putting it in the bottom of the port would work just fine.

The end of the steel flare is butted up against the bottom of the port and the teflon seal just kind of squishes into the side of the port threads at the bottom and up against the bottom of the line-nut. That is what deforms the seal the most.

again, I will say I am surprised on the lack of info on this topic and I posted this on another forum as well just in case others might come across this issue.
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D