Close

Default BBK Headers yay or ney

I was wondering what you thought of BBK Headers?

Thanks

I've loved every set I have had.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Headers are on my short list after I pull the smog pump and tubing out this winter.

I think I'm going to try and track down a set of FMS shorties to match my H Pipe....but I'm here for the reviews of the BBK's since they would be pretty and new if I went that direction.

I've seen a few instances where there was some clearance issues with the steering shaft and the BBK's which I'd like to avoid.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

MIKE'SVO86 is selling a set of BBK unequal length headers in the classified section.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Power Member

Been running them on the Capri for many years.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    MIKE'SVO86 is selling a set of BBK unequal length headers in the classified section.
    Thanks Chuck! I have a few sets for sale. They are great headers. Fit and seal properly. In some applications, the equal length will have clearance issues with the steering shaft.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

When I first went through my car years ago, I bought a set of BBK shorties...which I sanded down and coated...and matching H-pipe. They were okay, but I have GT40p heads on the 5.0L power plant, so there were a couple of plugs I had to contend with. Couple years later I found a really nice set of Ford Racing stainless shorties and a nice X-pipe unit. The header fitment is better on the FR units...especially at the heads...but the BBK's were fine. I've heard the cheap Ebay stainless shorties are good and seem to also work with the GT40p heads...maybe they're a knock off of the original FR units...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    .... after I pull the smog pump and tubing out this winter.
    I recommend you not do that if you're using an old style factory H-pipe with the 4 cats. The rear catalytic converters (the two-way, or oxidation, cats) require the extra air from the air pump to complete their catalytic reaction. Without the extra air, the honeycomb structures inside the converters will eventually clog up with "unprocessed" hydrocarbons, affecting driveability, performance and emissions.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    I recommend you not do that if you're using an old style factory H-pipe with the 4 cats. The rear catalytic converters (the two-way, or oxidation, cats) require the extra air from the air pump to complete their catalytic reaction. Without the extra air, the honeycomb structures inside the converters will eventually clog up with "unprocessed" hydrocarbons, affecting driveability, performance and emissions.
    Ahh it's been a while eh? I had a Ford Motorsport catless H pipe installed while the forum was down. The air tube from the engine bay is just sorta clamped to the H pumping out air doing nothing at the moment.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Gotcha. Yea, now I remember reading that you had changed your exhaust.... didn't remember what to though. No gas smell w/o the cats?

Assume you're just trying to clean up/de-clutter the engine compartment. Hope you're not trying to do it for horsepower gains, cause it only uses about 1 to 1-1/2 hp at wot. 2-3hp when it's pumping against back pressure.

Are you going to remove the air injection pipes from the back of the heads? Or just cap or crimp them off? If removing them, you'll need something to plug the 5/8" threaded holes. Bolts will work, or...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...HON4LEIE&psc=1
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Gotcha. Yea, now I remember reading that you had changed your exhaust.... didn't remember what to though. No gas smell w/o the cats?

Assume you're just trying to clean up/de-clutter the engine compartment. Hope you're not trying to do it for horsepower gains, cause it only uses about 1 to 1-1/2 hp at wot. 2-3hp when it's pumping against back pressure.

Are you going to remove the air injection pipes from the back of the heads? Or just cap or crimp them off? If removing them, you'll need something to plug the 5/8" threaded holes. Bolts will work, or...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...HON4LEIE&psc=1
    She definitely smells a little more, but I actually quite like it in a weird way. Reminds me of the way my dad's old Chevelle smelled.

I'm doing it primarily to de-clutter and remove a moving part that doesn't need to be there, not for any noticeable power gain.

Yep - Going to remove the crossover pipe. I ordered these:
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9449-BP/mus...late-kit-86-95

I heard they can be pretty gunked up with carbon so I figured those would be easier.

Not to hijack the thread - but another reason for removing is that it'll be easier to install headers! :-)
    Last edited by ITdude87; 11-09-2023 at 01:24 PM.
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by 83GTTops View Post
    I was wondering what you thought of BBK Headers?

Thanks
    I got a set of the sliver ceramic coated unequal shorties. They look nice and a fine quality to me. But I have no input on actual installation or usage because they are just another piece in my giant parts pile.... for my future build.

However, I am going to clean up/smooth out the weld beads on the inside of the primaries. I got that idea from a guy over on StangNet.... he did his and they look much better. He also enlarged the opening on the ball end of the collector a bit (from 2-1/4" to about 2-3/8"+), but I don't plan on doing that.

I have had a few sets ”shorty and equal” of the ceramic coating ones myself over the years and never had any issues. cats off and straight pipe. With a pair of dynomax mufflers and 2 1/2” rear pipes sounded beautiful.

I installed an Explorer GT40P headed engine in my 83.. I purchased a set of the " chinese " shorties off of Amazon for $81 that advertised " will work with P heads", figuring at that price I will take the gamble... I think they were very well made and fit well..... There was no hammering on tubes or steering shaft problems... On one side the collector was a bit close to the bellhousling and I took a grinder to it and took off a 1/4" or so for better clearance....
    I purchased some Ford Racing headers and installed them due to all of the " hype " about them fitting so well....
    they did not fit any better than the cheapy set I had on it...
    Do yourself a favor and purchase the Trick Flow spark plug socket, it makes life alot easier when you have headers......
    https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-90500
    Last edited by Bentley; 11-22-2023 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Do yourself a favor and purchase the Trick Flow spark plug socket, it makes life alot easier when you have headers......
    What makes the socket so "trick" (pun intended)?

And are you referring to headers on the P heads particularly, or on any heads with headers?

FEP Power Member

Doesn't look a traditional socket, needs a wrench on the end of it
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    I installed an Explorer GT40P headed engine in my 83.. I purchased a set of the " chinese " shorties off of Amazon for $81 that advertised " will work with P heads", figuring at that price I will take the gamble... I think they were very well made and fit well..... There was no hammering on tubes or steering shaft problems... On one side the collector was a bit close to the bellhousling and I took a grinder to it and took off a 1/4" or so for better clearance....
    I purchased some Ford Racing headers and installed them due to all of the " hype " about them fitting so well....
    they did not fit any better than the cheapy set I had on it...
    I believe the "Chinese" headers were copied off of the Ford Racing headers.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

What makes the socket so "trick" (pun intended)?

And are you referring to headers on the P heads particularly, or on any heads with headers?
    The socket is short and has the end open so the tip of the spark plug comes out.. Seems as if most headers ( and some old stock exhaust manifolds) had at least one spark plug that you needed an open end to tighten or loosen it.. Most of the header tubes interfere with getting a full size socket on the plug, this socket fixes that... Yes, this socket slips over the spark plug and requires and open end on it to work.... It is for the final tightening or the initial loosening of a plug.. Hopefully after that you can spin them out with your fingers or some tubing stuck on the end....
    ... My 67 Dodge 440 with stock HP exhaust manifolds took most of the day, getting half the plugs from under the car with an open end wrench... so these seem pretty simple to me.....
    85GTguy, that TF socket is for LS engines, so I guess headers suck all over.... LOL
    Last edited by Bentley; 11-25-2023 at 08:40 PM.