Close

Default Bad ignition switch?

Would a bad ignition switch cause the car to crank but no start?
    I got a 84 mustang GT 5spd, one day it just didn’t start so i check for spark and didn’t have any, I change the distributor and still nothing then i change the duraspark and now is got spark ( I took duraspark from a 82 capri but the connectors were different so i splice them), I also checked compression and getting 120 ,115 and 110 in different cylinders. It cranks i can even hear the exhaust going on but the car just wont stay turned on, any help would be really appreciate it

Edit: I took the ignition switch from the mustang and put it on a 88 Tbird and the car turned on, so i guess is not it
    Last edited by 84zorro; 06-17-2023 at 10:52 AM.
    82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

FEP Power Member

Check for voltage at the coil.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Check for voltage at the coil.
    Check for 12v on positive side 0n coil with key on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also forgot to mention, I took the cluster out and some other dash parts, I don’t know if that has something to do with it

Update: I did a coil test and its good, (bench test with a multimeter and also with a test light while cranking and also with a spark plug and getting good spark

The ignition connection is most likely culprit. Had same problem when I purchased mine. I’ve heard zip ties works. I replaced the connector and good now but must have ordered wrong one cause I can no longer turn key backwards for the stereo, doesn’t bother me 1 bit. Hers what I got

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272957365347

Quote Originally Posted by Carbsovertech View Post
    The ignition connection is most likely culprit. Had same problem when I purchased mine. I’ve heard zip ties works. I replaced the connector and good now but must have ordered wrong one cause I can no longer turn key backwards for the stereo, doesn’t bother me 1 bit. Hers what I got

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272957365347
    I put the mustang switch on the Tbird and the Tbird started with no problems, what Im gonna do is put the Tbird switch on the mustang and check for any damage wires and see what happens

Is it firing up at all? For a second,While the starter is engaged maybe, let go of the key then it dies? That’s what mine was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbsovertech View Post
    Is it firing up at all? For a second,While the starter is engaged maybe, let go of the key then it dies? That’s what mine was doing.
    That’s exactly what is doing!

Quote Originally Posted by 84zorro View Post
    That’s exactly what is doing!

I had that happen with the pickup in the distr on a 78 bronco (carb'd/duraspark), but you said you replaced distr and are getting spark.
    I might also look harder at wiring on Duraspark considering you had to repin/wire it. You sure the wire that ups voltage (or reduces it, I forget)
    during start, is not connected to the main power on Duraspark? Maybe you are only powering Duraspark only during crank. Connect it straight
    to batt (briefly), and see what happens.
    Last edited by OX1; 08-06-2023 at 06:47 AM.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Default Bad ignition switch?

It finally started, I had to troubleshoot a few things, first I replace the duraspark with a MSD 6A but was doing the same thing then I found out that the fuel pump was bad so I connected a elctric fuel pump (low psi) and now the carb was getting fuel and started, I hooked up the duraspark back but didn’t started just cranking so I just put back the MSD, now since the car is been sitting for a like a year I jacked the rear so i can put it in gear but wheels move sometimes and sometimes it wont (5spd transmission) thats gonna be the next troubleshoot lol!!

PS: thanks for the reply guys!

The spark box's were always the first thing to look at " back in the day" with ford and mopar..... While a wonderful advance over points and condensers, they were " new voodoo" that people did not know how to diagnose....
    The dealers with cars ( on warranty) I was involved with, would just go to parts and try a new one... I watched the Mopar dealer go through 2 bad ones in 73 on my friends 73 Cuda ( rich parents kid) before the 3rd box worked.....

When troubleshooting a NO-Start condition you need to first go over the basics. FUEL and SPARK. Especially on a carburetor unit I would 1st look in the unit to see if fuel was coming out when you open the throttle. If none then pour some fuel or starting fluid and crank it.
    Seems like in this case that was the problem.

If it wasnt then go to the next step and check for spark (ignition) and go from there.

Yes, to the mechanics you already know that but to the guys that arent just keep it simple with the basics first....FUEL AIR IGNITION COMPRESSION....if you have those the engine WILL fire...obviously if timing is way out that could give you a headache...
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D