Close

Thread: Speedo Cable

Default Speedo Cable

I had my cluster out on my 84 LX convertible to re wire my volt gauge earlier this summer.

Since then my speedometer isn't functioning. I assumed the cable was not seated but this morning to took a flashlight and looked under the dash and found it to be seated into the speedometer firmly. I tried pulling on it to see if it was not secure and would pop off but its securely seated.

What are my possibilities for the speedo to not be working? I know there's a tang sticking out the end of the speedo cable. Does that need to be oriented to seat properly?

Looking at my spare 79 cluster, there is a groove on the speedo head cable connection end.
    The cable lock tang snaps into it. The groove is 360.
    Pushing on the tab lifts its lock tang out of the groove.
    A bit of silicone paste like dielectric on the cable end and speedo head connection areas helps install/removal of cable assy.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Looking at my spare 79 cluster, there is a groove on the speedo head cable connection end.
    The cable lock tang snaps into it. The groove is 360.
    Pushing on the tab lifts its lock tang out of the groove.
    A bit of silicone paste like dielectric on the cable end and speedo head connection areas helps install/removal of cable assy.
    I checked mine and it is seated in the groove on the speedo. I was wondering about the tang inside the cable. Does that have to orient into a slot to catch correctly?

The end of the cable should mate into the rear of the speedometer. I havent messed with my mustang one in many years but they all are pretty similar in function.
    You might want to pull the cluster and make sure the speedometer gear thing is able to turn. ZIf that seems to be in order then check the cable. You can move the car a few feet and should observe the cable end that is in the dash area turning.
    That is just some troubleshooting suggestions.

Dielectric grease to lube it, if it is stuck or a little rusted then some light oil to free it up and then lube with the grease
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

i have checked speedo cable connection with a drill.
    Removed cable at trans, removed driven gear, and chucked the stub to the drill.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-30-2023 at 11:27 AM.

I would only use a graphite lubricant on speedo (or clutch) cables. Lot's of brands available.... here's a Dorman product....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)