Close

Default 2.3 Turbo Fuel Pressure Questions

I put my car back together and got it running finally but i have questions regarding the pressure, is it normal and where to look at for solutions if not.
    Car is an 84 GT Turbo 2.3 thats all stock.

Key on engine off the pressure is at about 25+/-psi after the pump has audibly primed.
    Engine running cold and warm the idle pressure is at about 33-34psi with the vacuum line on, it rises to 40psi with the hose disconnected. Idle noticably improves after disconnecting the vacuum hose but i havent dialed in the TPS sensor yet.
    Not driving and just sitting there is no change in pressure reving it up to 5k rpms with the hose on/off.
    Key off engine off the pressure drops to 20psi and fades to 0psi in under 2 minutes.

I added enough gas to get the tank over half full and nothing changed regarding the readings.
    I havent driven it down the road yet to confirm any drivability issues yet because i was replacing the brakes first before i drive it but i dont have anything to extend the gauge to where i can watch it right now, ill have to find something or make it and report back on that.
    The pressure regulator is new and correct as far as im aware, no fuel leaks underhood now or under the car. I dont hear any vacuum leaks.
    I havent touched anything on the fuel system other than under the hood rebuilding the injectors(orings, screens and caps), replacing a bad return line connector and replacing the original pressure regulator. Im planning to pull the tank soon and replace the pumps because of age but i didnt want to throw parts at something before i figure out if they are the problem yet.

Are any of these numbers indicative of something i should be looking at or normal?
    Last edited by 1984GTTurboVert; 07-31-2023 at 12:24 AM.

I think it is around 42 when the vacuum source is disconnected, 34-38 with it. So a little low, but still within range.
    Revving won't change anything since there is no load on the engine.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

I replaced the fuel filter, tried to replace the inline pump also but some stuff happend regarding that, and i now have 38psi running and 42psi with the vacuum line disconnected.
    I dont have it handy but the fuel filter was replaced some short time before i got the car and looks brand new. Ill blow it out at work later in the week and see what comes out.
    Last edited by 1984GTTurboVert; 08-14-2023 at 10:52 PM.

I have gone thru similar symptoms on BOTH of my SVOs. 10yrs ago I ended up changing the Fuel Pump and my problems was solved. (my problem was losing power under load...starving...no good)

Now I have same symptoms on my 85.5 and troubleshot the fuel pressure regulator and has shown to be good so now I am going to change out the fuel pump.

My symptoms on BOTH cars were:

Would need to cycle ignition 2 or 3 times to get to 25psi or more
    Engine would starve for power when boosting
    Fuel PSI would drop very quickly when ignition turned off

Possible probs

Bad FPR
    Bad Fuel Pump
    Cracked or split hose line (inside the tank...)

possibly something else that I didnt list but these are the usual suspects.

You car might be a different prob tho.

Your numbers dont sound too bad tho to be honest...or at least not horrible. You can trick the FPR by giving it 10psi of Air Pressure (not vacuum) to simulate boost and you will see an increase in fuel pressure as you rev the engine.

Let us know what you come up with.

You can prob get good info on the SVO forum since they are specific to 2.3 Turbo as an additional resource if you dont get your answers here. TurboCoupe as well.
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

I took the car for a ride today and it runs fine for the most part, seems to be lacking some of the "umf" under hard throttle it had before i started tinkering with it. The old lower octane gas isnt helping.
    I need to make a hose to move my fuel pressure gauge to where i can see it while driving.
    I have both nos inline and intank pumps waiting to get installed and when my fuel sender gets done they will to.