Close

Default 1980 Capri build: a clean slate

Hello Ladies and Gents, I haven't posted in a while, but here it goes....I just purchased a 1980 Capri, diamond in the rough. First off, it has a solid body and under carriage, with minimal rust, basic rolling shell. It was a V8, auto with a poise, ratios unknown...
    Question:
    1. I have a 1987 2.3litre TurboCoupe motor to drop in....will it fit with the stock K member?
    2. It didn't come with a transmission cross member. will a stock 2.3Litre cross member work?
    3. I'm planing to put in 5 speed, is the automatic shifter opening going to work with the 5 speed?
    4. I'm also looking at a 5 lug conversion. My understanding is the front spindle from the 1994-95 Mustang are a straight bolt in, correct?
    5. I was also , in the same vein, planning to put in a rear axle from a 1994-95 as well. This too I was told is a straight bolt in...is this correct?...Would that be the 8.8 rear, or is the 7.8 adequate, with the TurboCoupe motor? Engine mods are planned in the future.
    6. The TurboCoupe motor didn't come with a transmission, I still have to source that...what should I be looking for? I know it has a course spline clutch plate, (10 splines)...will a V8 transmission work?

Thank you in advance for any positive information,

Andrew

The engine will fit the stock K-Member, but you'll need mounts for a 2.3 Mustang. 86-88 TBirds used a totally different motor mount and K-Member interface and the 87-88TC mounts will not mount to the 80 K-member.
    If you want something performance https://23parts.com/ makes a set of poly mounts to fit. (Get mounts to fit the car, not what the engine came from).

Any of the Fox trans crossmembers will work.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

IIRC the 4 and 8 cylinder T5's had different ratios. If you have to buy one anyway get one for the 4-cyl.

The automatic and standard transmissions are totally different and require different shifters.

The 8.8 will bolt in. You can then have rear disc brakes (with more supporting parts - different master cylinder, prop valve, etc). Or you just bolt on the old drum brake stuff. True dual cars ran the brake line differently as they ran exhaust pipes over the axle where the brake line ran on a non-true dual car. The axles for 94/95 cars are a different length so it can affect wheel offset depending on what you use.

But, the 7.5 rear is plenty strong for a 4-cyl. Unabused they lasted a long time behind the V8.

If it had an auto and you want a 5-speed, you may also need a floor hump kit as the tunnel is different. Not doing so may make your trans sit lower and may goof up driveline angles.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 07-23-2023 at 01:31 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    IIRC the 4 and 8 cylinder T5's had different ratios. If you have to buy one anyway get one for the 4-cyl.
    The input shafts are also different and require different pilot bearing/bushing.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Check my Fairmont 2.3T build (link in the siggy line).

ALL 2.3 T-5s had an absurd 4.05:1 first gear except for the 85-86 SVO (1352-114) with 3.50:1.

"Best" T-5 ident guide: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Bo...T5-ID-Tags.htm

Mike

I have a T-5 with G-Force internals, 26spline input, 2.95 1st gear .63 5th gear and a spare .80 5th gear if you need a freshly rebuilt T-5 for your project