Close

Default McLaren Capri found

I’ve located a convertible that appears to be mostly complete. The body looks solid (stored inside a shed) and the interior is missing seats, steering wheel and carpet. My question is are these cars in demand? I’d hate to put a lot of money into a car that if I ever decided to sell it no one would either not know what it is or would not want it.

FEP Senior Member

There are some for sale. Ultimately, if you are doing it for an investment, probably not. https://www.ebay.com/itm/37480036174...Bk9SR8ao6pKtYg
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet1 View Post
    I’d hate to put a lot of money into a car....
    Don't do it if you're expecting to get it back out of it.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Convertible Foxes generally don't bring the money when you decide to sell. Even the unique and limited models will generally sell for less than an equivalent hardtop/t-top version. So keep that in mind if you are seriously considering the purchase. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Limited production numbers don't always equal higher prices for car sales. Most of the rare Capri models including the ASC cars, Black/White Magic, Crimson Cat, Pace Cars and even the RS in some years had very small production numbers but they usually sell for much less than their Mustang counter parts. The "price" guides including KBB and Nada don't give the Capri much love at all, setting the price at almost 1/3 of the price of the same year GT Mustang compared to the RS, even though in 84 there were almost 33,000 GT Mustangs that year compared to less than 3,700 RS Capri's. For me the value of my car is nothing more than a novelty at this point seeing as I have no intention of ever selling my car. I have seen RS Capri's go for much higher than their "Blue book" value lately and I do hope the value continues to go up with the Capri getting more popular and even more rare, but I am definitely not holding my breath.

Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 07-27-2023 at 10:42 PM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Thank you all for the insight. I agree and have decided to look elsewhere for my next project car.