Im getting ready to replace the original compressor, lines and condenser on my mustang since im tired of having stuff on it that doesnt work and wanted to hear some input on how im going about this.
Since a full conversion to a sanden compressor setup isnt available anymore and would have to make everything from scratch to make one and not really interested in going that way unless i HAD to, i picked up nos hr980 and have to make new ends on my hoses for the screw on fittings it has instead of the normal springlocks. Not a big deal but im going to reuse my clutch since it wasnt the problem with the original compressor.

Now my real input needed would be on the refrigerant. Im looking at 2 options, r12(which i have a few cans of somehow) or just using r290 instead. R290 is refrigerant grade propane(not the same stuff in your grill tank) and widely used and should be fully compatible with everything in the oe system.
The main reason im interested r290 over r12 is accessibility and price since i was planning to also redo my tbirds a/c with the same. Both have the tecumseh hr980 compressors but my tbird had a conversion to some fridge12 stuff before i got it.

So, thoughts?